Last Updated: August 4, 2020.
General Site Usage
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice, and we reserve the right to modify or discontinue the maintenance and operation of this site at any time, temporarily or permanently.
- We do not provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness, or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors, and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It is your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- Duotrope listings are provided for informational purposes only and do not imply endorsement or recommendation of the projects listed. The opinions and views expressed by the editor or staff of the projects listed are not necessarily shared by Duotrope.
- This website also includes links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the websites. We have no responsibility for the content of the linked websites. You should always browse the web with full virus protection enabled and use common sense to avoid scams.
- Our newsletter is for your personal use only and may not be shared, posted, or published without our written permission.
- This website may contain some material that is not suitable for minors. Visitors to this site must be 18 years or older or have parental permission.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, including the right to ban any person from using the site.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of the United States of America.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offense.
- Regardless of the jurisdiction from which you access this site, you acknowledge and agree that you do so at your own volition and are responsible for your own compliance with your jurisdiction's applicable laws and regulations, including those related to creating and participating in contests, drawings, and sweepstakes.
- If you believe material on this site infringes on your rights under US copyright law, you may have recourse under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA). Contact us at [email protected] about the alleged or actual infringement, and we'll investigate and take appropriate action.
Your Duotrope Account
- You agree you will create only one account, using a valid email address, and may not use a "bot" or other automated method to generate accounts, generate content, or retrieve content.
- You agree you will not share your account or login information with anyone and must notify us immediately if you suspect any unauthorized access to your password or your account.
- If you accidentally create multiple accounts, please let us know so we can consolidate them for you. Creation of multiple accounts, including previously deleted accounts, may result in the banning of all accounts involved.
- You agree that you will not use this site or our services to distribute email in an illegal or improper manner.
- An entity or individual who offers paid submission services may not have or create an account for that purpose.
- Subject to our sole discretion, we have the right to remove any material submitted to or made available on this site.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time and to suspend or terminate your account at any time, for any reason. Suspension or termination of your account may result in deletion of your account and any associated content.
- We assume no responsibility for and are not be liable for any damages caused by viruses or "spyware" that may infect your computer equipment as a result of your use of this site to access or download any files or materials.
- We retain the right to change or modify the terms and conditions applicable to use of this site and our services. All changes will be effective immediately upon notice, which may be given by any means. Your use of the site or our services after such notice shall constitute your acceptance of the modified terms and conditions. You should review the then-current terms and conditions each time you visit the site.
Third Party Links & Hosting
- The content on this site does not reflect the opinions or policies of Duotrope or its officers and employees, and the inclusion of a link to a particular website does not mean that we approve or endorse the linked website.
- Listings, profiles, project pages, and calls for submission created and posted by users on the site may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for and do not monitor the content, accuracy or opinions expressed on such websites.
- When you access third-party websites, you do so at your own risk. We are not responsible for the content of such sites or for the conduct of any user on such sites.
- We use a third party to provide hosting for this site and our services and reserve the right to change providers.
About the Data Available on this Site
- This website — its individual parts and the website as a compilation — is protected under U.S. copyright and other laws. (See Duotrope's full Trademark and Copyright statement below.) No part of this site can be shared, published, or compiled in any format without our express permission.
- You are responsible for any content you generate, post, or otherwise make available through your use of this site or your Duotrope account.
- If you use Duotrope's Submission Tracker, you agree to accurately report only submissions that were, in fact, submitted by you.
- We recommend that you backup your submissions data on a regular basis, and we provide basic export capabilities to facilitate your efforts to do so.
- Any data downloaded from this site, including but not limited to your submission history, is strictly for your personal use and may not be shared with third parties or used for any commercial purpose.
- We do not provide technical support to allow or facilitate the use of our data in third-party applications.
- No data obtained through access to or use of this site may be used to create any other database or compilation (online or otherwise).
- Unauthorized use of Duotrope's data may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offense.
Submitting through Duosuma
Duosuma is Duotrope's Submission Manager, a service provided to participating publishing projects and literary agents. You may have the opportunity to respond to a call for submission to a "Project" by using Duosuma to submit your "Piece" of writing or other creative work. Your use of Duosuma to submit your Piece is subject to all of the terms and conditions of this TOU, including the following:
- By submitting your Piece through Duosuma, you are authorizing us to store, transmit, and make that Piece available to the publisher or agent associated with the Project or call to which you are submitting.
- You are responsible for your Piece and any other content you transmit through Duosuma.
- You retain your ownership of your Piece unless and until you provide consent for its use by the publisher or agent associated with the Project or call to which you are submitting.
- We do not claim any intellectual property rights over any Piece you submit through Duosuma, and we will not sell or otherwise exploit your Piece.
- We will not share your Piece or other content you transmit through Duosuma except as explicitly described in this TOU.
- We won't charge you any additional fees for submitting your Piece through Duosuma, and we don't take any commission from fees or tips you may pay to the publisher or agent upon submission.
- You will have the ability to withdraw your Piece after submission, while it is still pending a response.
- If you have a Duotrope subscription, all Duosuma submissions will be automatically logged to your Duotrope Submission Tracker.
- We do not monitor the Pieces or other content submitted or transmitted through Duosuma, but we reserve the right to do so at any time and in our sole discretion.
- It is your responsibility to observe copyright laws, and you hereby agree that any Piece or other content you submit or transmit using Duosuma is consistent with applicable law and regulations, and you agree to indemnify us for any breach of relevant laws and regulations.
- We have the right to remove without warning any Piece or any other content you submit or transmit using Duosuma that is in violation of copyright laws or is otherwise illegal.
- In the event of any claim of copyright infringement associated with your Piece, we may be required by law to disclose your identity or other Personal Information.
No Improper / Illegal Use
You may not use, or attempt to use, this site or our services to harm or harass others or in any way that is improper or illegal and may be subject to criminal or civil liability for any such activities, including but not limited to:
- fraud, forgery, impersonation, purposeful deception, or falsification related to any user's name, email address, IP address, or other identifying information;
- use or attempted use to violate our system or network security or to gain access to or impair the operation or security of any network, facility, equipment, or information;
- interference with the ability of others to access or use this site or our services or unauthorized access to accounts or passwords;
- duplication or reverse engineering of this site or our services; and
- knowingly transmitting or propagating viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or "spyware" programs.
Payments & Subscriptions
- We are authorized to collect payment for recurring subscriptions until the subscription is cancelled by the user or terminated by us or the payment processor.
- All credit card purchases must be made with a credit card issued to the purchaser. Purchasers may not use credit cards issued to someone else, including a parent or spouse.
- In case of a financial or service dispute, Duotrope must be contacted directly before filing a chargeback or complaint with the payment processor.
- Individual subscribers who are refused service (banned) will not receive a refund of their subscription fees.
Duotrope's Copyright & Trademark Statement
- The word Duotrope is the registered trademark of Duotrope LLC. Various logos and trademarks of other entities or individuals that may appear on the site, or be seen during your use of the site, are the property of their respective owners.
- This website, including but not limited to text, content, video, and graphics, is protected by copyright and other proprietary rights and laws of the U.S. and other countries. The website and its database are also protected as a collective work or compilation under U.S. copyright and other laws and treaties. All individual articles, pages and other elements making up the website are also copyrighted works. Use of any of these original works without written permission of Duotrope LLC is expressly forbidden.
- All quotes and cover images provided in the market listings are the property of their respective copyright holders. Use of any of these original works without written permission of the owner is expressly forbidden.
Disclaimer of Warranty; Limitation of Liability
You expressly agree that use of the site and the services is at your sole risk. Neither we, our affiliates or agents warrant that the site or the service will be uninterrupted or error free; nor do we or they make any warranty as to the results that may be obtained from use of the site or the service, or as to the accuracy or reliability of any information, or service provided through the site. The site and the service is provided on an "as is" basis without warranties of any kind. There are no warranties as to the results obtained from the use of the site or the services. This disclaimer of liability applies to any and all damages or injury caused by your use of this site or the services. You specifically acknowledge that neither we nor our affiliates or agents are liable for the defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of other users or third-parties and that the risk of injury from the foregoing rests entirely with you. In no event will we, or any person or entity involved in producing or operating the site or its content, be liable in contract, in tort (including for its own negligence), or under any other legal theory (including strict liability) for any damages whatsoever arising out of the use of or inability to use the site. You hereby acknowledge that the provisions of this section shall apply to all use of and content on the site. Applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or certain damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. In no event shall our total liability to you for any and all damages, losses and causes of action, including strict liability, exceed the greater of (a) the amount paid by you to access this site and the services and (b) $500.
Changes to this TOU
Duotrope may unilaterally change this TOU from time to time by providing notice to Duotrope account holders and subscribers and posting the updated TOU on its website. The revised terms and conditions will become effective thirty (30) days after any modified TOU is posted. Use of this site or access to any Duotrope services constitutes acceptance of the revised terms and conditions.
Governing Law, Venue & Jurisdiction
This TOU is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New Mexico without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule that would require or permit the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of New Mexico. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to this TOU will be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of New Mexico in each case located in the city of Albuquerque and County of Bernalillo, and each party irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action, or proceeding.
By using this site or any of our services, or by creating a Duotrope account, you accept and agree to be bound and abide by the Terms and Conditions of this TOU.