The Profane Nonfiction Prize
Profane (see other related projects)
A project of
We like essays that express what might normally be suppressed. Essays that ache, that gnaw at the gut, that make us laugh at the things we shouldn't. Essays that self-incriminate. We also like essays that let us in on what's unfamiliar. Maybe that's an essay about the experience of being in a particular time and place. Maybe that's an essay about a particular culture or subculture. We love the feeling of walking away from an essay knowing something we didn't know before. We don't like didactic essays. Essays that express certainty about the world tend to be a bit of a bore. We much prefer essays that take us to the uncertain places, that are skeptical and inquisitive of both the world and the self in turn, that brim with curiosity. We like essays that look outward. Even in deeply personal essays, we're interested not just in an author's self-investigation, but in a sense of how we might carry the results of such an investigation out into the world. In other words, essays should be more than indulgences of narcissism.
Fees Notice: This project charges fees (or requires purchases) for all submissions.
Audience & Country
|Open to a broad Audience.
|| United States
Publication Medium & Contest Frequency
|Print Publication ||Print Publication||Awarded 1 x per year.
Nonfiction Temp Closed
- Open to all/most Styles, including: Literary.
- Open to all/most Topics.
|Article Article||Up to 7,500 words; Unknown number of pieces.|
|Essay Essay||Up to 7,500 words; Unknown number of pieces.|
|Narrative Nonfiction Narrative Nonfiction||Up to 7,500 words; Unknown number of pieces.|
- Winner's Prize:
- We do not list prize specifics. Check with the publisher for details.
|Professional payment (5 or more US cents per word) Professional payment (5 or more US cents per word).|
| OK|| No|| Unknown|| OK|| Unknown||Text format submissions |
- Always check guidelines for details and restrictions. If you aren't familiar with these terms, see our . glossary
More Information is Available to Members
Only the basic information for this listing is currently visible. If you want to learn more about this listing, including response statistics (average response time, rejection percentage, acceptance percentage, etc.), you need to subscribe
. See a sample of what you're missing.
19 Nov 2017
29 Mar 2016
Listing may be deactivated on:
19 Dec 2017
We cannot guarantee that the information on this page is correct. It is not unusual for publications to evolve or close without notice. We do our best to keep up, but it isn't always possible. Just remember…
- Always read the full guidelines provided by the publisher.
- Try to read at least one previous publication to get a better idea of what the editor would like to see.
- Unless the publisher's guidelines state otherwise, always use industry standard manuscript formatting.
- For novel/collection publishers, it is standard to submit a cover letter, synopsis, and sample instead of the full manuscript. Do this unless otherwise instructed.
- Include a SASE with all mailed submissions, queries, and requests for guidelines, unless the editor replies via or email or guidelines state otherwise.
- Be professional, patient and persistent.