The Beloit Fiction Journal publishes the best in contemporary short fiction. Traditional and experimental narratives find a home in our pages. We publish new writers alongside established writers. Our fiction-only format allows us to consider very long as well as very short stories. We occasionally publish excerpts.
Fees Notice: This project charges fees (or requires purchases) for all submissions, and does not offer monetary payment for accepted submissions.
Important: Postal submissions are allowed for incarcerated persons.
Country of Publication & Year Established
United States||Established in 1985
Publication Medium & Frequency
|Print Publication ||Print Publication||Published 1 x per year.
Fiction Open Fee-based
Open to fiction submissions through 16 November 2021* (approx. 19 days from now). 9
- Open to a broad Audience.
- Open to all/most Styles, including: Experimental, Literary.
- Open to all/most Topics.
|Flash Fiction Flash Fiction||Up to 1,000 words.|
|Short Story Short Story||1,000 - 7,500 words.|
|Novelette Novelette||7,500 - 13,000 words.|
|Novel Excerpt Novel Excerpt||Up to 13,000 words.|
- We list broad pay categories rather than payment specifics. Check with the publisher for details.
|No monetary payment No monetary payment.|
| OK|| No|| No|| OK||Text format submissions |
- Always check guidelines for details and restrictions. If you aren't familiar with these terms, see our . glossary
* We do not know the time and/or timezone, so we cannot be more precise. Submit early to avoid disappointment.
More Information is Available to Subscribers:
Only the basic information for this listing is currently visible. If you want to learn more about this listing, including submission statistics (average response time, rejection percentage, acceptance percentage, etc.), you need to subscribe
. See a sample of what you're missing