Publishing the best in literary nonfiction since 1999. Here at Fourth Genre, we’re devoted to publishing notable, innovative work in nonfiction. We curate works across the full spectrum of the genre. Given the genre’s flexibility and expansiveness, we welcome a variety of works ranging from personal essays and memoirs to literary journalism and personal criticism. We showcase works that are lyrical, self-interrogative, meditative, and reflective, as well as expository, analytical, exploratory, or whimsical. Our journal fosters a writer-to-reader conversation, one that explores the markers and boundaries of literary/creative nonfiction.
Fees Notice: This project charges fees (or requires purchases) for all submissions, and does not offer monetary payment for accepted submissions.
Want more insight into the editors' preferences? Read our
Country of Publication & Year Established
United States||Established in 1999
Publication Media & Frequency
|Electronic Publication ||Electronic Publication||Published 2 x per year.
|Print Publication ||Print Publication||Published 2 x per year.
Nonfiction Temp Closed
Will be open to submissions from 01 September 2022 12:00 AM UTC (in 220 days) through 30 November 2022. 3
- Open to a broad Audience.
- Open to all/most Styles, including: Experimental, Humorous, Literary, Personal.
- Open to all/most Topics, including: Lifestyle (Food and Drink), Literature/Books (See guidelines), Memoir, Nature/Environment, Travel.
|Review Review||No specific word count limits known.|
|Essay Essay||Up to 8,000 words.|
|Narrative Nonfiction Narrative Nonfiction||Up to 8,000 words.|
- We list broad pay categories rather than payment specifics. Check with the publisher for details.
|No monetary payment No monetary payment.|
| OK|| No|| No|| OK||Text format submissions |
- Always check guidelines for details and restrictions. If you aren't familiar with these terms, see our . glossary
More Information is Available to Subscribers:
Only the basic information for this listing is currently visible. If you want to learn more about this listing, including submission statistics (average response time, rejection percentage, acceptance percentage, etc.), you need to subscribe
. See a sample of what you're missing