You will need to enter pertinent dates in US format (MM/DD/YY) or through the drop-down calendar.
Sent date: For all submissions, enter the date you sent the submission.
- If you have received a response, then enter the date you received a response.
- If you are entering a withdrawal or lost/never responded submission, then enter the date you withdrew the piece or the date you gave up waiting for a response.
- If you are still waiting on a response and are not reporting it as lost/never responded, then leave the Date Received field blank.
Acknowledged date: Optionally, you can enter the date you received acknowledgment of your submission.
Date Queried: If you have sent the editor a query about this submission, you may enter the date in this field.
You can enter the following submissions statuses:
- Pending response: When you have not yet heard a response on a submission. You will be able to update the status of this submission as needed through your Submission Tracker.
- Acceptance: Congratulations! Your piece has been accepted for publication.
- Rejection: Optionally, you may indicate one of the following:
- Form rejection
- Personal rejection (It is up to you to determine when a rejection is personal and when it is a form. As a rule of thumb, if the rejection specifically discusses or critiques the work you submitted, then it is a personal rejection.)
- Lost/Returned: When you have learned that your submission has been lost (i.e., never received) or returned to you (i.e., the editor is not reading submissions now). You will need to enter the date you discovered that your submission was lost or returned as the date of response. If you resubmit the same piece to this market, please enter the resubmission as a separate report.
- Never responded: When you have given up waiting for a response. The system will not let you use this status if it is still within a normal period of time for that market to respond. You will need to enter the date you gave up waiting as the date of response. If you resubmit the same piece to this market, please enter the resubmission as a separate report.
- Withdrawal: When you have contacted the editors to withdraw a piece from consideration, generally because it was accepted elsewhere first. Please do not abuse this option; if your piece was actually rejected, do not mark it as "withdrawn" as that significantly skews the statistics for everyone else. You will need to enter the date you withdrew the piece as the date of response.
In addition to Submission Status, you can indicate the following:
- Shortlisted: Use when you have learned that your submission has been shortlisted. This is only available as an option for Pending responses and Rejections.
- Rewrite Requested: Use when the editor has specifically asked you to rewrite/rework the piece and resubmit it. With rewrite requests, we prefer you to enter the rewritten piece as a separate submission. This is only available as an option for Rejections.
What Piece did you submit?
You will need to select the title(s) from your "pieces list".
Note When submitting Collections or Chapbooks, select the title of the collection or chapbook as the Piece; please do not select each individual piece in the collection/chapbook. However, if you are submitting multiple individual pieces, please do select each piece being submitted.
Adding a piece: If the title isn't already in your "pieces list," you can add it either by using the "I need to add a piece to my list" option (be sure to click the "Add and Continue" button after entering the information, and then finish entering the details of the submission), or by going to your List of Pieces and adding the piece there.
Submitting multiple pieces at once: If you are submitting more than one piece to the same market with the exact same dates and other details, you can choose the "multiple pieces were sent together" option and use ctrl-click (cmd-click on Macs) to select each title from your list, or you can submit them individually if you prefer or if you don't meet all the criteria for the multiple pieces option.
How did you submit it?
Enter one of the following under Submission Method:
- Electronic: Any type of electronic submission, such as email or online forms.
- Postal: A physical submission sent through the mail.
- Submission Manager: A submission sent via a third-party submission manager.
Last Step: Submitting the Form
Finally, submit the information, and it will automatically be included in our records and in your personal Submissions Tracker. Be sure that you receive confirmation of the submission report, and check for any alerts on the page indicating an entry error.