What is a 50-Word Story? A 50-word story is a piece of fiction written in exactly 50 words. That doesn’t mean “roughly” 50 words; it doesn’t mean “as close to 50 words as possible”; it doesn’t mean 50 words or fewer. It means exactly 50 words. As with any other form of fiction, a 50-word story should have a beginning and an end, a plot and character development (even if they are only implied), and a theme, meaning, or purpose of some sort. Many 50-word stories are built around twists or climactic moments.
Important: Submit only once a month.
Want more insight into the editors' preferences? Read our
Country of Publication & Year Established
United States||Established in 2009
Publication Medium & Frequency
|Electronic Publication ||Electronic Publication||Published 260 x per year.
Fiction Temp Closed
Will be open to submissions from 01 June 2022* (approx. 13 days from now) through 15 June 2022. 0
- Open to a broad Audience.
|Open to all/most Genres Open to all/most Genres|
- Open to all/most Styles, including: Literary, Mainstream, Minimalist.
- Open to all/most Topics.
|Flash Fiction Flash Fiction||Exactly 50 words.|
- We list broad pay categories rather than payment specifics. Check with the publisher for details.
|No monetary payment to Professional payment (5 or more US cents per word) Pays occasionally, up to Professional payment (5 or more US cents per word).|
| OK|| No|| OK|| OK||Text format submissions |
- Always check guidelines for details and restrictions. If you aren't familiar with these terms, see our . glossary
* We do not know the time and/or timezone, so we cannot be more precise. Submit early to avoid disappointment.
More Information is Available to Subscribers:
Only the basic information for this listing is currently visible. If you want to learn more about this listing, including submission statistics (average response time, rejection percentage, acceptance percentage, etc.), you need to subscribe
. See a sample of what you're missing