Since 1950, the Beloit Poetry Journal has been publishing poetry that matters. Well-known as an early publisher of Galway Kinnell, Charles Bukowski, Anne Sexton, Maxine Kumin, Sharon Olds, Albert Goldbarth, and Sherman Alexie, the BPJ continues to be notable for its ability to spot and nurture at the beginning of their careers poets who go on to reshape the poetic landscape. Senior editors screen all poems that come in over the transom; final decisions are made by the editorial board after reading poems aloud.
Important: Submit no more than once per submission period. They close early each month if they go over their submission limit and re-open the next month.
Want more insight into the editors' preferences? Read our
Country of Publication & Year Established
United States||Established in 1950
Publication Medium & Frequency
|Print Publication ||Print Publication||Published 2 x per year.
Open to poetry submissions through 31 August 2021* (approx. 73 days from now). 29
- Open to a broad Audience.
- Poetry Forms:
- Open to all/most Forms, including: Long poetry.
- Open to all/most Styles, including: Literary.
- Open to all/most Topics.
|Poem Poem||No line limits known; Up to 5 pieces.|
- We list broad pay categories rather than payment specifics. Check with the publisher for details.
|No monetary payment No monetary payment.|
| OK|| No|| No|| OK||Text format submissions |
- Always check guidelines for details and restrictions. If you aren't familiar with these terms, see our . glossary
* We do not know the time and/or timezone, so we cannot be more precise. Submit early to avoid disappointment.
More Information is Available to Subscribers:
Only the basic information for this listing is currently visible. If you want to learn more about this listing, including submission statistics (average response time, rejection percentage, acceptance percentage, etc.), you need to subscribe
. See a sample of what you're missing